Thursday, October 10, 2013

The Seasons of Life

With a gentle nudge from a very dear friend, I decided that I give this thing another go.  So, here I am…writing to y’all about life, love, laughter and everything in between.  Let’s see…lots of changes over the past two years. Well, my husband has a new job, we’ve relocated to a new state…oh, and we’ve had another baby!  Here’s my sweet boy…
 

In God’s perfect timing, it’s only fitting that I fire up this old blog during inarguably the best season ever – the miracle of autumn.  Change can be a difficult thing to experience, but I love all the breath-takingly beautiful changes in weather, nature, fashion, and food.  The vibrant hues of changing leaves, the sweet, smoky scent of logs on the fire, the warmth of wool, and the bold flavors of everything pumpkin!  Oh, I could go on and on.  Seriously, what’s not to love? 
As I do every quarter, I decorate my front door, adorning it with season-appropriate wreath.  Using this tutorial, my summer wreath was hand-crafted with love by yours truly using white and gray chevron burlap and white burlap hydrangeas.  I finished it off with a silver-painted “B”… for “burlap”.  {I’m kidding.}  Here’s a pic of it in all its bright, new summertime glory. 

But over the months, it changed a bit as it weathered the elements – monsoon-like rainstorms, hurricane-mimicking winds, and sweltering Hades’ heat.  {Eh, I may be exaggerating just a bit, but Southern summers are nothing to take lightly.}  Anyway, my pristine wreath took on an almost decaying yellow tinge.  It was pretty beaten up.  Saddened, I took the dingy wreath off the door and prepared to throw it in the garbage.  On the way to the trash can and grieving my craft project {really, I think I might have shed a tear…maybe}, it dawned on me that this wreath wasn’t garbage after all.  I realized that the yellowish color was actually a pretty, mustardy tint – perfect for fall!!  I rushed to our local Hobby Lobby and picked up a few foam and wicker pumpkins, glittered acorn, and some autumn berry sprays.  With a little nip here and a tiny tuck there, I came up with this…

A close up…

So, what do you think?  Not too shabby.  The wreath has taken on a completely new look.  It’s perfectly suitable for the season.  I even think it’s better than it was before.  Isn’t that so true in us?  {I love a good metaphor}  We weather the storms of life feeling pretty beaten and battered, but God uses those experiences to change us, making us better {more patient, wiser, disciplined, vigilant, etc.} versions of ourselves to mold us into the people He needs us to be to do His work for that specific season in our lives. 

I can’t help but sing my favorite song right now – “Beautiful Things” by Gungor.  {Literally belting it out} 
You make beautiful things.
You make beautiful things out of dust.
You make beautiful things.
You make beautiful things out of us.
 
You make me new,
You are making me new.
 
*Sigh*
 
I find comfort in change and hope you can, too.  And I'm super excited to share the beauty of fall with you!! It’s good to be back ;)
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment