Wednesday, October 30, 2013

...Party in the Back


Clark Kent, 2009
For years now, we’ve looked forward to October 31st.  Halloween has been so much frightening fun since having children – coordinating costumes, making fun, creepy food, decorating the house, all of it. 




Mario & Luigi, 2011
Living these events through my little ones’ eyes has been such an incredible joy and privilege.  Scripture tells me that my children are rewards from God {Ps127:3}.  I feel I’ve won the ultimate prize of becoming a mother. 


They’re my little blessings.  And on Halloween this year, they’ll be my little super heroes!!
Batman, Robin & American Dream Girl, 2013
I set out to decorate the front of the house, but it dawned on me that we never really use the front door.  I thought of how rare the kids will be able to enjoy the decorations.  It seemed kind of silly to me considering the fact that I’m doing this all for them.  So, why not decorate the back door?  After all, that’s our main portal in and out of the house.  It actually worked out great for this spooky celebration as that entry is pretty hideous to begin with.
And those adorable apparitions are super simple to make {no witchcraft necessary}. Here’s how…

Start with a crepe paper wedding bell, some black paper, cheese cloth, any kind of adhesive {I used regular ol’ tape.}, and a pair of scissors {yes, those are the children’s safety scissors.  Don’t judge.}
Fan out the crepe paper wedding bell.  Drape the cheese cloth over it to measure out how much you want to cut.  I repeated this twice, so that the bell was covered with two layers of cheese cloth.
Pull the bell’s string through the layers of cheese cloth.  Just jhush your fingers through the two layers to create a big enough hole to fish the string through.  {“Jshush” is a very technical crafting term.}
 
Cut out facial features, scary or sweet, and affix them to the cheese cloth covered bell.
 
There you have it!  You can include a couple in your terrifying table scape or even set a group of them on the floor to haunt a room.  I chose to hang them from the ceiling to help cover up that ghastly hot water heater.  No matter how you make them, nightmarish or nice, or where you choose to put them, these ghouls are sure to be a hair-raising Halloween hit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment